Join your colleagues in signing onto the Central Valley Pro Bono Challenge
Currently, over 4.3 million Californians are unable to access legal services, and it is estimated that 200,000 of these persons reside in Fresno County. These numbers represent families with young children, persons with disabilities, veterans, victims of domestic violence and elder abuse, seniors, immigrants and other low-income individuals. The demand for services from CCLS' client community surpasses the capacity of the staff and other resources of CCLS. Recognizing the growing severity of the unmet legal needs of the poor and disadvantaged in the central valley communities,we ask you to join with other attorneys and firms in Fresno County in providing the legal aid community with pro bono legal services by signing on to the Central Valley Pro Bono Outreach Project.
Central Valley Pro Bono
CentralValleyProBono.org is a joint project of Central California Legal Services (CCLS), OneJustice, and Pro Bono Net. Through this site, CCLS supports attorneys, law firms, and law students who donate their time and/or resources in providing legal assistance to low-income seniors, individuals, and families.
Individual attorneys and law firms can provide invaluable pro bono assistance to our clients every day through legal clinics and limited scope and direct representation on individual cases and actions involving major litigation.
About this site
CentralValleyProBono.org offers many resources through which volunteers can locate and connect with pro bono opportunities
The About section contains more information on the details of the challenge and links to pledge forms you can also join the site by clicking on any links titled "Click here to sign onto the challenge"
The Calendar section features upcoming events clinics and trainings especially designed for pro bono attorneys and students; you can search the calendar by date or geographical location.
The Volunteer Opportunities section describes the different volunteer opportunities available as well as the advantages and benefits that come with volunteering including recognition and training opportunities.
The Volunteer Resources section highlights the different resources support available for volunteers.
Pro Bono Challenge Attorney Volunteer
James L. Miller
James Miller, of the Law Office of James L. Miller, signed on to our Pro Bono Attorney Panel at the beginning of the 2012 calendar year. Since then, CCLS has referred several Project First Step cases to him for representation and he has accepted each of those cases. In each case, he puts 110% effort to ensure the client receives the best representation he has to offer, including taking a case to trial in his efforts to zealously advocate for the client.
In one instance, he was able to obtain a 5 year domestic violence restraining order for a client. In this case, he stepped in at the last minute, the day before the scheduled hearing, and was ready to represent the client the following day. We have relied on him and have called on him on numerous occasions and each time he has stepped up to provide us with pro bono services.
"I would be willing to help CCLS in any way I can as I truly believe in [the] organization." -James L. Miller, Esq.
- California Trial Evidence 2015, Oct 22
- Advocating for Veterans: The Basics on VA Benefits, Discharge Upgrades and Veteran Cultural Competency 2015, Nov 10
- Prop 47: The Lawyer’s Role in Implementing California’s Landmark Criminal Justice Reform Initiative (Free), Nov 17
- Negotiation Skills 2.0: Moving Beyond the Basics, Jan 11
- State bar considers requiring all law students to do free legal work, Mar 12
- Daniel Elliott of PYXERA Global to Talk About Power of Collective Impact and Pro Bono Partnership at Global Pro Bono Summit in Berlin , Feb 25
- Global Not for Profit and Volunteer Match Network Launched, Feb 25
- LA School Board OKs Attorneys To Offer Free Legal Aid To Students At Risk Of Deportation, Feb 19
- TEXAS V. UNITED STATES The Federal District Court Decision Regarding the DACA and DAPA Initiatives, Feb 17
- View more