Alameda County Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Corporation *
To Volunteer, Contact:
1000 BroadwaySuite 480Oakland, CA 94607Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 510-302-2222
- Fax: 510-452-2224
- Website: http://www.acbanet.org
Alameda County Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Corporation (Alameda)
The ACBA Volunteer Legal Services Corporation (VLSC) provides free direct legal assistance to Alameda County's low-income population by mobilizing volunteer attorneys to provide pro bono service. All legal work is performed on a pro bono basis by volunteer attorneys and paralegals; staff coordinates clinics, screens clients and recruits, trains and supports volunteers. VLSC's offers services in the following areas of law: family law, debt collection defense, bankruptcy, guardianship, estate planning, immigration, low-income landlord eviction assistance and assistance to non-profit corporations.
Pro Bono Project Description:
VLSC offers services through: 1) Pro per legal clinics where attorneys and paralegals provide for brief service and legal education; and 2) Pro bono case referral panels where attorneys provide full or limited scope representation.
VLSC holds legal clinics in areas of law, including family law, bankruptcy, guardianship, immigration and assistance to low-income landlords.
VLSC provides pro bono referral in areas of law including family law, debt collection defense, bankruptcy, guardianship, estate planning, immigration, low-income landlord eviction assistance and assistance to non-profit corporations.
VLSC Mentor Program provides one-on-one mentoring and technical assistance to new and/or transitioning pro bono attorneys who have active pro bono cases through VLSC.
To volunteer at a clinic, take on a pro bono case, or to mentor another attorney, please contact Elizabeth Hom, VLSC Director of Access Programs at (510) 302-2216 or email@example.com.
- County of Volunteer Opportunity: Alameda
- Area of law: Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Family & Juvenile, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Life Planning, Nonprofit Organizations
- Populations Served: Children, Communities of Color, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, Immigrants, Low Income, Nonprofits, Women, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Lawyers, Mentors, Mentors/consultants, Nonlitigation Projects, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Cantonese Chinese, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Evenings, Flexible, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No