California Public Benefits: The Basics for Nonprofit and Pro Bono Advocacy 2020
- 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Pacific Time (US & Canada)
- By: Practising Law Institute
Practising Law Institute
- Food Programs
Full scholarships, registration fee waivers, and discounts are widely available to attorneys and staff working for nonprofit/legal services organizations; pro bono attorneys/volunteers (providing no-fee legal assistance to clients individually or through an organization); government attorneys; judges and judicial law clerks; law professors and law students; senior attorneys (age 65 and over); unemployed attorneys; and others with financial hardships. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Why You Should Attend
Low-income clients need your help to protect their rights to potentially life-saving public benefits. Many low-income clients have difficulty navigating the confusing and bureaucratic processes to establish and maintain eligibility for public benefits. Without legal assistance and advocacy, large numbers of clients go without the benefits to which they are entitled, which can lead to unnecessary hunger and homelessness. Attorneys who work with low-income clients or pro bono attorneys interested in working on these types of cases can learn the basics of public benefits law in one day.
What You Will Learn
- Overview of the CalWORKs, CalFresh, and General Assistance programs
- Overview of Medi-Cal, including the Affordable Care Act, Covered California, and other health access issues
- Overview of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and the California Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)
- Understanding of common issues related to administrative hearings
- Understanding of strategies and procedures for filing writs and appeals
Who Should Attend
Attorneys assisting pro bono clients with benefits matters through representation or in clinical settings, firm pro bono coordinators and partners, corporate law department pro bono managers, law clinic students and faculty, public interest and nonprofit organization attorneys and staff, benefits advocates, and benefits agency attorneys and staff.
Practising Law Institute8002604754
- Attachment(s): Program_Schedule_and_Faculty_(CA_Benefits_20_SF).pdf