Financial Elder Abuse – Civil, Criminal and Non-Litigation Strategies to Help Elders Facing Financial Exploitation
- 9:00 AM - 3:40 PM
- Pacific Time (US & Canada)
- By: Practising Law Institute
Practising Law InstituteMap:San Francisco, CA
- Family Law
- Senior Citizens
Why You Should Attend
Financial exploitation is a growing issue faced by older adults, and the effects of financial exploitation can negatively impact the physical health, mental well-being, and financial stability of victims. While acts of elder abuse may fall under various criminal statutes, civil attorneys are uniquely positioned to deploy legal strategies and advocacy to mitigate the effects of abuse and help older adults attain the remedies they seek.
This training will provide information and resources to help attorneys as they represent clients who may have experienced financial exploitation.
What You Will Learn
• Scope and victims of financial exploitation.
• Strategies for screening and interviewing clients who have been financially exploited.
• The interplay between physical and cognitive changes during aging and how these changes impact financial decision-making.
• Resources required and challenges to filing civil claims of undue influence.
• How to analyze elder financial exploitation cases from start to finish.
• Strategies in determining the best civil remedies for financial exploitation.
• The civil and criminal remedies available for financial elder abuse.
• The legal definition of coerced debt and how to apply consumer law remedies to these cases.
• How elder financial exploitation cases compare to financial abuse in domestic violence cases.
• Who are fiduciaries and what remedies are available in cases of financial abuse by a fiduciary.
• The non-litigation remedies available for victims of financial elder exploitation.
• The meaning of restorative justice in the elder abuse context and pilot programs exploring dispute resolution and restorative justice.
Who Should Attend
Practitioners who work with older adults and caregivers and are seeking a better understanding of financial exploitation and how to assist victims of financial elder abuse. The training will explore emerging issues and trends in financial exploitation, and provide useful information for practitioners who are new to aging and elder law issues, as well as practitioners with elder law experience who are looking to deepen their understanding of financial elder abuse remedies.
Practising Law Institute
- Attachment(s): Program_Schedule_and_Faculty_(Elder_Financial_21_SF).pdf